[tor-dev] onion v2 deprecation plan?

David Goulet dgoulet at torproject.org
Mon Apr 30 13:55:51 UTC 2018

On 28 Apr (09:34:09), teor wrote:

> On 28 Apr 2018, at 04:48, Damian Johnson <atagar at torproject.org> wrote:
>
> >> OnionBalance requires STEM support for V3
> >
> > Hi Alec, would you mind clarifying what you need from Stem? As far as
> > I'm aware Stem supports v3 onion service creation...
> >
> > https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/25124
> >
> > See the 'version 3' note at the end of...
> >
> > https://stem.torproject.org/api/control.html#stem.control.Controller.create_ephemeral_hidden_service
> >
> > I'm unaware of the ball being in my court on any v3 Onion Service
> > stuff. If there's something I should have on my radar then please let
> > me know!
>
> OnionBalance requires Stem support for v3 HSFETCH
> But Stem requires Tor support for v3 HSFETCH

Hmmmm I was told before the v3 control port work by Donnacha that for v3
support, HSFETCH won't be ncessary...

It is the main reason it hasn't been done that is for a lack of use case. The
HSFETCH for v3 is much more tricky in terms of engineering and interface thus
we decided to implement it on the "need it basis".

If OnionBalance actually needs it for v3, then we should try to get that on
the roadmap.

Cheers!
David

--
1dKuWYP7Si7mjurnrG6vfHiQfiibnDK5yH7HDBggBeM=