[tor-dev] PrivCount - Draft of secret-sharing specification

Aaron Johnson aaron.m.johnson at nrl.navy.mil
Thu Sep 28 15:48:36 UTC 2017

Hello,

This appears to be a sketch of Shamir secret sharing, which will be just one tool used in the PrivCount system. For example, it is missing how relays (aka Data Collectors) maintain counters, how aggregators (aka Share Keepers) aggregate counters, and how secret sharing is used among those entities to provide fault tolerance for the aggregation process.

The grammar and writing style need improvement. They are at a level that makes the proposal hard to understand at times.

There are many important missing details even in the secret sharing component:
  - How is p determined?
  - How is N determined?
  - Who plays the roles of the SK, SHs, and SR? How do these relate to the parties in PrivCount?

Some minor notes I kept before it became clearer that higher-level comments would be more useful:
- Sec. 1: Description of secret sharing is incorrect. Strict subsets of shares in a simple additive secret-sharing scheme do not leak information.
- Sec. 1: Variable capitalization (e.g. K vs. k, N vs. n) should be consistent.
- Sec. 3.2: I could not understand what notation was being introduced through a, b, c, and d.
- Sec. 3.2: SUM and PRODUCT variable notation is inconsistent ("i=" missing from PRODUCT).
- Sec. 3.2: "Secret Keeper (SK)" has an unfortunate collision with the acronym for Share Keeper, which is a different role in the PrivCount paper.
- Sec. 4, Step 2: The prime need not be random. It can be fixed and public.
- Sec. 4, Step 3: Specify how the coefficients are determined.

Best,
Aaron