[tor-dev] Does "ar: `u' modifier ignored since `D' is the default (see `U')" warning qualify as a bug?

isis agora lovecruft isis at torproject.org
Mon Sep 25 19:03:03 UTC 2017

Patrick Durusau transcribed 3.2K bytes:
> Hello,
>
> Running Ubuntu 16.04, using:
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/tag/?h=tor-0.3.2.1-alpha
>
> Following:
> https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001449.html
> and I get this warning 17 times from make:
>
> ar: `u' modifier ignored since `D' is the default (see `U')
>
> I traced this back to line 187 in Makefile.in
>
> ARFLAGS = cru
>
> Correcting to:
>
> ARFLAGS = cr
>
> src compiles sans the warnings.
>
> Is that a bug meriting a ticket?
>
> My primary strength is documentation and making mistakes in following
> it. ;-)
>
> Hope everyone is looking forward to a great weekend!
>
> Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Do you know if the `D` flag is enabled by default on platforms other than
Ubuntu?  (I would worry that removing `u` on platforms which don't have `D`
enabled by default could break our reproducible builds.)

Please feel free to open a ticket if you're so inclined.

Best regards,
--
 ♥Ⓐ isis agora lovecruft