[tor-dev] Reporting Relay Bandwidth Less Often

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 21:46:46 UTC 2017

> On 26 Oct 2017, at 06:36, nusenu <nusenu-lists at riseup.net> wrote:
>
> teor:
>> We would like to make Tor relays report their bandwidth statistics
>> every 24 hours, rather than every 4 hours.
>
> How has the new time period been decided on?
> Is one day the upper bound for some use-case?
> If longer periods (2, 3 or 7 days...) are safer: why not increase it
> even more?

We decided to make the bandwidth statistics interval 24 hours
because relays already report observed bandwidth every 24 hours
in their descriptors. (More precisely, they re-post their descriptors
approximately every 24 hours, or when the bandwidth changes by
more than 2x, or when any of the rest of the config changes.)

To increase both these intervals beyond 24 hours, we would have
to make major changes to the bandwidth authority subsystem as
well.

So this is the simplest change that yields a significant improvement
in client anonymity.