[tor-dev] Do Tor relays rely on ICMP type 11 (time exceeded / timeout in transit)?

Igor Mitrofanov igor.n.mitrofanov at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 01:36:18 UTC 2017

I have figured it out. Tor is fine.

TTL=1 mentioned in incoming ICMP 11 messages is just the destination
host's perspective, not what the relay originally sent out. I have
traceroute'd to some hosts the relay was trying to connect to, and
there are indeed infinite routing loops (misconfigured networks) over
there, so TTL gets decremented to 1 and the ICMP error is delivered,
as it should.

I am going to allow both ICMP type 11 and type 3 then. (Need to figure
out what to do with incoming fragmented packets, but that's another
story altogether, perhaps for tor-relays@)

Thanks!