[tor-dev] A ContactInfo specification

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Fri Oct 20 12:44:00 UTC 2017

Hello,

an earlier version of this has been send to tor-relays [1]
and I got some feedback from irl and relay operators via ML and github
issues.

Now I'd like to hear from the tor developer community.
Please send your feedback until 2017-10-27.

example ContactInfo:
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/1EBFC733CCD952F7F7616EBBA7BC6B8E6F2F0CBC

Overview
---------

Tor's ContactInfo descriptor field was primarily intended to contain an
email address and PGP key fingerprint but since this field accepts an
arbitrary string it has been used for multiple other other purposes
(website urls, donation information, bitcoin addresses, ...). Making use
of provided information in an automated way is hard since there is no
specification on how this string should look like. This is an
specification to formalize the ContactInfo string.

Motivation (excerpt)
-----------

- collect additional (self-reported) relay metrics (for things like
atlas and https://nusenu.github.io/OrNetStats )
- exmples: How many use tor's Sandbox/OfflineMasterKey/KIST feature?
- This data could provide tor developers with information on how well
tested/how much used new features (like Sandboxes) are before changing
defaults.

The entire document can be found here:
https://github.com/nusenu/ContactInfo-Information-Shareing-Specification

regards,