[tor-dev] Proposal 286: Controller APIs for hibernation access on mobile

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 21:35:24 UTC 2017

Hi Nick,

Comments inline:

> [...]
>   behavior.
>
>   This proposal describes controller APIs for better management of
>   Tor's hibernation mechanisms, and extensions to those mechanisms,
>   for better power management in mobile environments.
>
> 1.1. Background: hibernation and idling in Tor today
>
>   We have an existing "hibernation" mechanism that we use to
>   implement "bandwidth accounting" and "slow shutdown" mechanisms:
>   When a Tor instance is close to its bandwidth limit: it stops
>   accepting new connections or circuits, and only processes those
>   it has, until the bandwidth limit is reached.  Once the bandwidth
>   limit is reached, Tor closes all connections and circuits, and
>   all non-controller listeners, until a new accounting limit
>   begins.
>
>   Tor handles the INT signal on relays similarly: it stops
>   accepting new connections or circuits, and gives the existing
>   ones a short interval in which to shut down.  Then Tor closes all
>   connections and exits the process entirely.
>
>   Tor's "idle" mechanism is related to hibernation, though its
>   implementation is separate.  When a Tor clients has passed a
>   certain amount of time without any user activity, it declares
>   itself "idle" and stops performing certain background tasks, such
>   as fetching directory information, or building circuits in
>   anticipation of future needs.  (This is tied in the codebase to
>   the "predicted ports" mechanism, but it doesn't have to be.)
>

> 1.2. Background: power-management signals on mobile platforms
>
>   (I'm not a mobile developer, so I'm about to wildly oversimplify.
>   Please let me know where I'm wrong.)
>
>   Mobile platforms achieve long battery life by turning off the
>   parts they don't need.  The most important parts to turn off are
>   the antenna(s) and the screen; the CPU can be run in a slower
>   mode.
>
>   But it doesn't do much good turning things off when they're
>   unused, if some background app is going to make sure that they're
>   always in use!  So mobile platforms use signals of various kinds
>   to tell applications "okay, shut up now".
>
>   Some apps need to do online background activities periodically;
>   to help this out, mobile platforms give them a signal "Hey, now
>   is a good time if you want to do that" and "stop now!"
>

> 1.3. Mostly out-of-scope: limiting CPU wakeups when idle.
>
>   The changes described here will be of limited use if we do not
>   also alter Tor so that, when it's idle, the CPU is pretty quiet.
>   That isn't the case right now: we have large numbers of callbacks
>   that happen periodically (every second, every minute, etc)
>   whether they need to or not.  We're hoping to limit those, but
>   that's not what this proposal is about.
>

> 2. Improvements to the hibernation model
>
>   To present a consistent interface that applications and
>   controllers can use to manage power consumption, we make these
>   enhancements to our hibernation model.
>
>   First, we add three new hibernation states: "IDLE",
>   "IDLE_UPDATING", "SLEEP", and "SLEEP_UPDATING".

Four new hibernation states

>   "IDLE" is like the current "idle" or "no predicted ports" state:
>   Tor doesn't launch circuits or start any directory activity, but
>   its listeners are still open.  Tor clients can enter the IDLE
>   state on their own when they are LIVE, but haven't gotten any
>   client activity for a while.  Existing connections and circuits
>   are not closed. If the Tor instance receives any new connections,
>   it becomes LIVE.
>
>   "IDLE_UPDATING" is like IDLE, except that Tor should check for
>   directory updates as appropriate.  If there are any, it should
>   fetch directory information, and then become IDLE again.
>
>   "SLEEPING" is like the current "dormant state we use for
>   bandwidth exhaustion, but it is controller-initiated: it begins
>   when Tor is told to enter it, and ends when Tor is told to leave
>   it.  Existing connections and circuits are closed; listeners are
>   closed too.
>
>   "SLEEP_UPDATING" is like SLEEP, except that Tor should check for
>   directory updates as appropriate.  If there are any, it should
>   fetch directory information, and then SLEEP again.
>

> 2.1. Relay operation
>
>   Relays and bridges should not automatically become IDLE on their
>   own.
>

> 2.2. Onion service operation
>
>   When a Tor instance that is running an onion service is IDLE, it
>   does the minimum to try to remain responsive on the onion
>   service: It keeps its introduction points open if it can. Once a
>   day, it fetches new directory information and opens new
>   introduction points.

… and re-posts its descriptor?

And if an IP goes down, does it pick a new one?

Or if the descriptor expires?
How often does that happen in v2?
I think it happens after 3 hours by default in v3.

> 3. Controller hibernation API
>
> 3.1. Examining the current hibernation state
>
>   We define a new "GETINFO status/hibernation" to inspect the
>   current hibernation state.  Possible values are:
>     - "live"
>     - "idle:control"
>     - "idle:no-activity"
>     - "sleep:control"
>     - "sleep:accounting"
>     - "idle-update:control"
>     - "sleep-update:control"
>     - "shutdown:exiting"
>     - "shutdown:accounting"
>     - "shutdown:control"

Why is there no reason for "live"?

>   The first part of each value indicates Tor's current state:
>      "live" -- completely awake
>      "idle" -- waiting to see if anything happens
>      "idle-update" -- waiting to see if anything happens; probing
>         for directory information
>      "sleep" -- completely unresponsive

Missing sleep-update

>      "shutdown" -- unresponsive to new requests; still processing
>         existing requests.
>
>   The second part of each value indicates the reason that Tor
>   entered this state:
>      "control" -- a controller told us to do this.
>      "no-activity" -- Tor became idle on its own due to not
>         noticing any requests.
>      "accounting" -- the bandwidth system told us to enter this
>         state.
>      "exiting" -- Tor is in this state because it's getting ready
>         to exit.

Missing a reason corresponding to StartIdle