[tor-dev] Question on Tor Design (current and maybe past and future)

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sat Nov 11 02:31:33 UTC 2017

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 09:55:28PM +0000, ng0 wrote:
> > and after that the two "Eight key design changes" blog posts.

Actually, there's a bonus third of those blog posts. I just added it to
https://www.torproject.org/docs/documentation.html.en#DesignDoc

>   A summary of the currenty (late 2017) design of Tor,

Your best shot there is the specs:
https://spec.torproject.org/
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/

>   a reflection on past designs and why they were
>   disregarded/changed,

You might find the proposals useful here:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/proposals

>   and where you are heading at the moment.

And for this one you want a combination of current trac tickets, grouped
by milestone:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/report/12
and the roadmaps that they're talking about on tor-project:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-November/001564.html

> I'm used to websites and content you can display in the
> webbrowser not being up to date all the time, and my
> assumption was that I would have to dig through all
> the papers and blog posts, meeting notes and come to
> a conclusion on my own - or ask you to get some
> insiders view on this.

There is for sure a lot in flux, as usual for moving projects.

--Roger