[tor-dev] Proposal 284: Hidden Service v3 Control Port

meejah meejah at meejah.ca
Tue Nov 7 17:54:11 UTC 2017

David Goulet <dgoulet at ev0ke.net> writes:
> On 06 Nov (10:15:18), Damian Johnson wrote:

>> Hi David, great proposal! Sorry I'm juggling too many things right
>> now to really really review it. Quick skim though looks great. One
>> quick thought is that the HS_DESC event has an optional positional
>> argument (DescriptorID). This is fine *but* I'd advise against it
>> since it will prevent you from ever adding more positional arguments
>> in the future.  Making it a key=value argument instead sidesteps
>> this.

> What do you propose exactly? I can't really change the "DescriptorID"
> to a key=value format. So, you think I should just not extend that
> field and use a new "key=value" for it?

Ahhh, I see what you mean: DescriptorID is *already* in the spec for
HS_DESC as an (optional) positional argument -- you're just extending it
to accept possibly more characters?

So, yes, just making it "possibly bigger" is fine IMO. In other words,
we've already baked into the spec the thing Damian doesn't want (an
optional positional arg) so there's not really any way out of that.

--
meejah