[tor-dev] Proposal 284: Hidden Service v3 Control Port

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Tue Nov 7 17:40:36 UTC 2017

> What do you propose exactly?

Hi David. What I mean is that having an optional positional field...

MyEvent Field1 Field2 [Field3] Key1=Value1

... means we cannot ever add more positional fields in the future. For
example...

MyEvent Field1 Field2 [Field3] [Field4] Key1=Value1

... would be ambiguous if the third field is Field3 or Field4 since
they're both optional. We also could not add new mandatory positional
fields...

MyEvent Field1 Field2 Field4 [Field3] Key1=Value1

... because it would be ambiguous if the third field was Field4 with a
new version of tor or Field3 with an old one.

> I can't really change the "DescriptorID" to a
> key=value format. So, you think I should just not extend that field and use a
> new "key=value" for it?

Why not? Does the DescriptorID have equal signs in it? If so then you
could also make this be a mandatory positional field with a filler
value like 'none' if unavailable.

Cheers! -Damian