[tor-dev] Which network simulator are you using/suggesting for testing Tor

Matt Traudt sirmatt at ksu.edu
Thu May 11 13:20:35 UTC 2017

On 5/11/17 09:08, vmon wrote:
> Hello Tor-devers,
>
> A friend of mine wants to simulate Tor and measure the network
> performance by tweaking various node selection heuristics etc. He was
> wondering what simulator usually people who perform and study Tor
> uses. This was the best he came up with
>
> https://shadow.github.io/
>
> but was wondering if anyone has a better suggestion.
>
> Thanks a lot for your help,
> vmon

There is also Chutney[1], which is popular with other Tor developers.

But as someone who uses Shadow every day, go for Shadow :). I think
you'll find it already comes with the ability to graph many things you
might be interested in. And if you will be interested in simulating
large networks, it should do so better than Chutney.

Hoping I don't sound too much like a fanboy.

Matt

[1]: https://gitweb.torproject.org/chutney.git