[tor-dev] man page: MyFamily

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Wed May 10 21:30:00 UTC 2017

Hi,

 I wanted to help improve the man page section for MyFamily in the light
of today's MyFamily change [1].

I sometimes contact relay operators about their MyFamily configuration
and a common request is: "Please send me an example"

So I added an example to the man page (including the new multiline
support in 031)

- replaced "node" with "fingerprint"
(no one is using nicknames anymore, or onionoo does not display
fingerprints?) Are nicknames still supported? (Roger started to remove
remaining bits of the past Named "world" so this might be another place?)
- made clear that you can still have multiple fingerprints in a single
line (if this will be deprecated at some point I can add a deprecation info)
- added info that the fingerprint can be prefixed with $
- changed "This option can be repeated many times, for multiple families"
"This option can be repeated many times, for multiple fingerprints"
(from one relay's view there is only one family)

nusenu

inline patch below (I can paste it to trac if you like)

[1]
https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/commit/?id=d76cffda601eed40d6a81eadb1240d98ee1e70a2
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/4998#comment:11

1735c1735
< [[MyFamily]] **MyFamily** __node__::
---
> [[MyFamily]] **MyFamily** __fingerprint__,__fingerprint__,__...__::
1738,1739c1738,1741
<     their identity fingerprints. This option can be repeated many
times, for
<     multiple families. When two servers both declare that they are in the
---
>     their (possibly $-prefixed) identity fingerprints.
>     This option can be repeated many times, for
>     multiple fingerprints, all fingerprints in all MyFamily lines will
be merged.
>     When two servers both declare that they are in the
1745,1746c1747,1753
<     When listing a node, it's better to list it by fingerprint than by
<     nickname: fingerprints are more reliable.
---
>     Example: +
>     MyFamily
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA,BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
+
>     MyFamily CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC +
>  +
>     is identical to: +
>  +
>     MyFamily
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA,BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB,CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC