[tor-dev] [tor-commits] [tor/master] Bug 17592: Clean up connection timeout logic.

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Tue May 9 03:24:03 UTC 2017

> On 9 May 2017, at 11:20, Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu> wrote:
>
> On Mon, May 08, 2017 at 06:00:18PM +0000, nickm at torproject.org wrote:
>> commit d5a151a06788c28ac1c50398c6e571d484774f47
>> Author: Mike Perry <mikeperry-git at torproject.org>
>> Date:   Tue Feb 21 21:28:00 2017 -0500
> [...]
>> +   - Increase the intial circuit build timeout testing frequency, to help
>> +     ensure that ReducedConnectionPadding clients finish learning a timeout
>> +     before their orconn would expire. The initial testing rate was set back
>> +     in the days of TAP and before the Tor Browser updater, when we had to be
>> +     much more careful about new clients making lots of circuits. With this
>> +     change, a circuit build time is learned in about 15-20 minutes, instead
>> +     of ~100-120 minutes.
>
> Fyi, the current Tor network has "cbttestfreq=60" set in its consensus
> params.
>
> Is this something we should change?

Yes, otherwise the change to the default will have no effect for
clients that successfully download a consensus.

I suggest we change it to 10 now, as it will immediately improve the
timeout behaviour for mobile clients.

I think there is even a sponsor for this, ahf and nickm can tell you
which.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n