[tor-dev] Why is my bridge not publishing statistics?

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Sat May 6 16:25:11 UTC 2017

On Sat, May 06, 2017 at 03:41:28AM -0400, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> On Fri, May 05, 2017 at 04:30:52PM -0700, David Fifield wrote:
> > But if it's the case that an unreachable ORPort causes descriptors not
> > to be uploaded, then why do the default obfs4 bridges appear in Atlas?
>
> Tor relays (and bridges) test their reachability by making circuits
> that loop back to themselves, and they consider themselves reachable
> when an incoming connection sends a create cell (see the end of
> onionskin_answer()).
>
> You might think that these two actions are more connected, i.e. that
> it needs to be one of the loop circuits that sends the create cell,
> but no, they're completely disconnected. So the relay (or bridge)
> can launch all the loop circuits it wants, and they can all fail, but
> if something causes an incoming connection that sends a create cell,
> it will happily conclude that it's reachable.
>
> So it's likely that the reason the default bridges are publishing to
> the bridge authority is because somebody used them via obfs4, at which
> point they decided they were reachable, at which point they decided it
> was cool to publish.

Okay, thanks. It still doesn't fully make sense to me, because while
some of the default bridges are in Atlas, not all of them are (for
example the two from https://bugs.torproject.org/18050). I don't think
it's possible that they haven't gotten *any* client traffic.

I wonder if it has something to do with the tor version number?

> You're right that this is a fragile situation. Maybe we should recommend
> that if you firewall your ORPort, you also set "AssumeReachable 1"
> in your torrc?

I've just set "AssumeReachable 1"; let's see if that helps anything.