[tor-dev] GSoC 2017 - Project "Crash Reporter for Tor Browser"

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Thu Mar 30 20:31:50 UTC 2017

On 28 March 2017 at 16:22, Nur-Magomed <nmagoru at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Georg,
> Thank you!
>
>> We should have a good user interface ready giving the user at least an
>> explanation on what is going on and a way to check what is about to be
>> sent.
>
> I've also thought about that, I suppose we could just put text explanations
> on Crash Reporter client UI form [1].

I think we'd want to enhance this form. IIRC the 'Details' view is
small and obtuse and it's not easy to review. I'm not saying we
_should_ create these features, but here are a few I brainstormed:

- A much bigger, more clear Details window with:
- The ability to include to exclude individual sections of the report
(for example, Hardware information would not be included by default,
but maybe we give the user the ability to include it)
- The ability to perform text searches for keywords of their choosing
to spot-check if they are present in the report

Just ideas.

> I've wrote the Proposal [2], could you review it and leave comments? Thanks.

Let's try and avoid GDocs if you don't mind :)

I put your document here:
https://storm.torproject.org/shared/DHc8GjUYr8aUNeO2ZcOjTc1xG3pwbburIQoLYB9wkAz
(I don't know if you can create storm documents, but you could use
pad.riseup.net ) and put comments on it.

> P.S. Have I to send proposal to GSoc as draft?

I don't know the answer to this, but hopefully Damian does?

-tom