[tor-dev] GSoC 17 | Name System API for Tor Onion Services

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Sun Mar 26 13:19:11 UTC 2017

Ivan Tham <pickfire at riseup.net> writes:

> George Kadianakis <desnacked at riseup.net> wrote:
>
>> Pickfire <pickfire at riseup.net> writes:
>>
>> > I am Ivan Tham. Currently studying in Computer Science in APIIT Malaysia. I am
>> > interested particapate in Google Summer of Code 2017 under tor organization. I
>> > am interested to see Proposal 224 coming along but I would really like to see
>> > [Proposal 272][0] and hope that tor hidden services can be more user-friendly.
>>
>> there is still interest in this proposal but unfortunately it hasn't
>> been revised since it was first posted on the mailing list. The mailing
>> list feedback unfortunately has not been incorporated to the proposal
>> yet; particularly the comments by David Fifield are very relevant and
>> should be considered carefully before taking the proposal too seriously.
>
> Does
>
>> In general, I suggest to anyone who wants to work on this proposal, to
>> do it using a Tor controller instead of hacking the main C tor
>> code. meejah suggested this here:
>>       https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-October/011517.html
>
> Does that mean that I well be working on the prototype with python first and
> then convert it into C?

Hello,

I think a well made controller-based prototype in Python and one or two
PoC integrations of simple name systems (e.g. local hosts file, remote
hosts file) should be fine for a GSoC summer project.

If we like the controller prototype we could consider writing it in C in
the future.

>> and it seems like a proper solution here would involve controller events
>> like NEWRESOLVE, MAPADDRESS, and plus some extra magic.
>
> I don't quite understand what does that mean.

Please check control-spec.txt for a description of those events:
       https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/control-spec.txt
It might make things clearer.

>> I must say that this project is definitely relevant for GSoC, but it
>> needs a _strong_ and _independent_ student that can handle it.
>
> I will definitely do my best for it but I will really need a mentor to help
> because I am confused by some parts of it as well.

Hmm. Which parts did you find confusing?

Cheers!