[tor-dev] One Valid Next-Generation Onion Address per Private Key

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 11:39:08 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Most onion service users expect that there is only one valid onion
address for their private key. (For example, one address is listed in
SSL certificates.)

I spoke with Ian, and he said that as part of validating the onion
address, we should check if it is a valid point.

He said we need to multiply the point by L, and make sure there's no
torsion component (that is, that the result is the identity).

This avoids the complexity of choosing a canonical point using some
lexicographic order, or the complexity of using something like decaf.

(Hopefully, Ian will write back if I transcribed things incorrectly.)

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n
xmpp: teor at torproject dot org