[tor-dev] [RFC] Proposal for the encoding of prop224 onion addresses

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 10:27:37 UTC 2017

> On 26 Jan 2017, at 10:19, teor <teor2345 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> onion_address = base32(pubkey || checksum || version)
>
> Is the order in which the address is encoded once the checksum is
> calculated. checksum represents (the first two bytes of) the result of
> the SHA3 hash.
>
> We put pubkey first so that humans can distinguish addresses.
> (We could put checksum first, but that's non-standard.)

I just talked with some people who run a large onion site.

They asked if we can put the checksum at the front of the encoded
address.

This makes phishing with different bit(s) in the tail of the address
much harder. (That is, searching for a matching prefix for an existing
address is much harder if the checksum changes the first two characters
unpredictably. People ignore the checksum if it's at the end.)

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n
xmpp: teor at torproject dot org