[tor-dev] Proposal xyz : Count Unique IP addresses in an anonymous way

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 13:56:01 UTC 2017

Hi Jaskaran,

> On 17 Mar 2017, at 23:42, Jaskaran Singh <jvsg1303 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ยง2. Research
>
> There are three ways to solve this problem. All the three ways are
> actually Big Data
> Algorithms. A few problems arises for each of these algorithms since
> they are made for
> big data but the data we would provide is not necessarily big.

As we discussed on IRC, there's a simpler way to solve the problem of
storing IP addresses in memory: store a (keyed) hash of the IP address
instead.

The hash can be tuned to be sufficiently hard to make brute-forcing
impractical. (As long as each 'country' has sufficiently many IP
addresses. And as long as the threat model excludes adversaries which
only want to confirm a few addresses.)

The key can be rotated at a suitable interval, ensuring that past
addresses can not be discovered by future attackers.

Noise can be added to the hash if we wish.

And there's no need for a correction factor: the hash is an exact
mapping.

Including a hash-based scheme would make the proposal more
comprehensive. It could also help justify the complexity of the other
schemes in terms of the benefits they provide over and above a simple
hash (if any).

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n