[tor-dev] OnionGatherer: evaluating status of hidden services

ansijax at gmail.com ansijax at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 17:52:47 UTC 2017

> This is an interesting project, that being said I have a few concerns I'm
> hoping you can address.
>
> From a security standpoint;
>
>    - The instructions for the webservice don't seem to indicate that it
>    is being served as a hidden service, or even with ssl. See <Virtualhost
>    *:80>. This would mean that, even if chrome is configured properly, when
>    the request is made over Tor it basically sends every link on every page
>    you're viewing, in the clear, over the public internet; and to your server,
>    if one was to actually use it.

No, the webservice is not served as hidden service, but it runs with ssl
 and requests on port 80 are redirected on port 443 of this URL :
https://lamorgiam.redi.uniroma1.it/onionGatherer.
The configuration reported with <Virtualhost *:80> on the MD file is for a
generic setup of the server.

>    -
>    - Unless you intend to share your onionGatherer service with someone
>    else (you clearly shouldn't) then 'Require All Granted' is unnecessary and
>    inadvisable.
>    - if(responseData['onions'][portion.text] == 0)
>    <https://github.com/rfidlabsapienza/onionGatherer-ChromeExtension/blob/master/OnionGatherer.js#L52>
>    (responseData[
>    <https://github.com/rfidlabsapienza/onionGatherer-ChromeExtension/blob/master/OnionGatherer.js#L52>
>    '
>    <https://github.com/rfidlabsapienza/onionGatherer-ChromeExtension/blob/master/OnionGatherer.js#L52>
>    onions
>    <https://github.com/rfidlabsapienza/onionGatherer-ChromeExtension/blob/master/OnionGatherer.js#L52>
>    '
>    <https://github.com/rfidlabsapienza/onionGatherer-ChromeExtension/blob/master/OnionGatherer.js#L52>
>    ][
>    <https://github.com/rfidlabsapienza/onionGatherer-ChromeExtension/blob/master/OnionGatherer.js#L52>
>    portion
>    <https://github.com/rfidlabsapienza/onionGatherer-ChromeExtension/blob/master/OnionGatherer.js#L52>
>    .
>    <https://github.com/rfidlabsapienza/onionGatherer-ChromeExtension/blob/master/OnionGatherer.js#L52>
>    text
>    <https://github.com/rfidlabsapienza/onionGatherer-ChromeExtension/blob/master/OnionGatherer.js#L52>]
>
>    <https://github.com/rfidlabsapienza/onionGatherer-ChromeExtension/blob/master/OnionGatherer.js#L52>
>    ==
>    <https://github.com/rfidlabsapienza/onionGatherer-ChromeExtension/blob/master/OnionGatherer.js#L52>
>    <https://github.com/rfidlabsapienza/onionGatherer-ChromeExtension/blob/master/OnionGatherer.js#L52>
>    0
>    <https://github.com/rfidlabsapienza/onionGatherer-ChromeExtension/blob/master/OnionGatherer.js#L52>
>    )
>    <https://github.com/rfidlabsapienza/onionGatherer-ChromeExtension/blob/master/OnionGatherer.js#L52>
>      would return an orange circle if portion.text is undefined or null,
>    perhaps stronger typing would be appropriate.
>

> From a pure code review standpoint;
>
>    - ou include the images twice, once in the root, and once in figures.
>    - You've implemented an XTHML parser in regex
>    <http://%C2%A0https://github.com/rfidlabsapienza/onionGatherer-ChromeExtension/blob/master/OnionGatherer.js#L6>;
>    Generally this is inadvisable.
>    - The version of jQuery that was included (2.2.3) is not the most
>    recent (2.2.4)
>

> Thank you for your feedback. Your advices are really appreciated. we will
try to fix asap