[tor-dev] Proposal 276: Report bandwidth with lower granularity in consensus documents

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 04:39:15 UTC 2017

> On 1 Mar 2017, at 04:11, Nick Mathewson <nickm at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 6:42 AM, teor <teor2345 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, Tim!
>
> This looks pretty plausible to me. Do you have time to write up a
> quick&dirty python function that actually performs the smoothing?

Well, it's a function, but it's not pretty, because it needs to know
all the consensus bandwidth values to find the percentile to do the
smoothing.

>  If
> so, I can test it out on the January consensuses and measure the
> impact on compressed diff sizes.

To generate a list of bandwidths, run:
cat cached-microdesc-consensus | grep ^w | cut -d= -f2 | cut -d" " -f1 > bandwidth_list

To generate a list of pairs:
bandwidth rounded_bandwidth

Run:
./bwround.py bandwidth_list

There's an alternative scheme available in the script, to use
it, comment out the line:
rounding_configs = excess_rounding

(The alternative scheme rounds the 99th percentile to 2 significant
figures rather than 3.)

I'd be interested in how each scheme performs.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n
xmpp: teor at torproject dot org