[tor-dev] moving toward requiring regression tests for bug fixes

Taylor Yu catalyst at torproject.org
Wed Jun 28 23:38:18 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I've opened a Trac ticket at
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/22745 about possibly
requiring all bug fixes to have associated regression tests.  This is
aimed at Core Tor (starting with 0.3.2.x) but other Tor-related software
might want to consider a policy like this as well.

Ideally all bug fixes will have automated regression tests so we can
promptly recognize when they've regressed and fix them.  I realize that
some of our code may be too complex for an automated regression test to
be feasible, so we would have a procedure for exceptions from this
requirement.  (This would become part of the patch review process.)

Please comment on the ticket if you have opinions about this idea.  (Or
respond in email if your reply wouldn't work well in the form of a
ticket comment.)

Thanks!
-Taylor