[tor-dev] Problems on torrc.d-style configuration directories

iry iry at riseup.net
Tue Jun 27 02:08:14 UTC 2017

Hi teor and Daniel!

Thank you so much for your reply! Your instructions are really helpful
to me.

teor:
> You probably need a %include directive in /etc/tor/torrc.

I tried to add %include directive in /etc/tor/torrc and
/usr/share/tor/tor-service-defaults-torrc separately. And both of them
worked well :)

teor:
> If you get this working, please submit a patch to the Debian bug
> tracker.

No problem! But please forgive my ignorance, could you please explain
a little bit more to me that why I should report it to Debian BTS,
instead of tpo? In other words, what is the relationship between
packages.debian.org and deb.torproject.org?

According to cypherpunks[0]:
> The first released tor version with this feature is 0.3.1.1-alpha.
> As usual there will be alpha packages on deb.torproject.org
>
> If you want this feature _now_ you can use the nightly builds: ​
> https://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org/dists/tor-nightly-master-str
etch

However,

the highest tor version in Debian BTS right now is
3.0.8-1.[1], which means the feature has not been included into Debian?

My current thought is deb.torproject.org is the upstream of
packages.debian.org in terms of tor package. So a change made in
deb.torproject.org will be adopted by packages.debian.org after a while.

The following is my testing environment which may be helpful to the
problem:

I tested the torrc.d feature in both Debian 8 and Whonix13(based on
Debian8). Instead of downloading from packages.debian.org, I download
tor from:
> deb http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org jessie main deb-src
> http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org jessie main deb
> http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org tor-nightly-master-jessie
> main

The Tor version I tested was:
> Tor version 0.3.1.3-alpha-dev (git-a73d0fe9a87df762+b433dff)

Again, thank you very much, teor and Daniel! I really appreciate your
help!

Best,
iry

[0]: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/1922