[tor-dev] Are we planning to use the "package" mechanism?

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Mon Jun 19 11:48:00 UTC 2017

Nick Mathewson:
> With proposal 227 in 0.2.6.3-alpha, we added a way for authorities to
> vote on e.g. the latest versions of the torbrowser package.
>
> It appears we aren't actually using that, though.  Are we planning to
> use it in the future?

It might be a candidate for update hardening, e.g. in the Tor Browser
case. Note, though, that there are a bunch of issues with the Tor
Browser side of the proposal
(https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/14676#comment:1). We'd
need to solve those first before starting any implementation. I guess
this could be a nice item for a funding proposal if we think that's the
way to do the update hardening.

Georg