[tor-dev] Thoughts on the Counter-RAPTOR paper

Yixin Sun yixins at CS.Princeton.EDU
Thu Jul 20 04:45:58 UTC 2017

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the comments! And apologies for the insane delay.. Please see below. In summary, we're working on making the BGP monitoring data publicly available - (1) providing the data for people to use, and (2) providing our analytics on the data as a reference. Webpage is currently hosted here: http://raptor.princeton.edu/bgp-tor.html (we're currently solving some hosting space issue, will be constantly updating the page once we get more space)

1a. Challenges of the system (in terms of false positives, the need of a routing expert, etc.)

There are multiple phases that we want to achieve with the system: (1) first phase is simply making the BGP data available on the Tor network, which will open up the research area to the community on how to make best use of these data; (2) second, we offer our detection heuristics (as presented in the paper) as a resource on anomaly detection, and the historical alerts data will be publicly available online; (3) finally, we want to make it into a real alert system - that people can subscribe and receive alerts in real time. We agree that this will be challenging since we do not want to overwhelm users with a large amount of alerts.

-> Lower the alert rate and analyze alerts
The best thing is always to ask the network operators that are involved in the alerts - they know the best whether they’re truly under attack, or if it’s due to some internal configurations or agreements, which may not be public information. Many previous monitoring systems (cite here) involved this kind of “input” from network operators themselves. However, Tor relay operators are not equal to network operators - from our interactions with some relay operators, we learned that many purchased services from ISPs and thus do not have control over the AS/IP space of the relays. In this case, it may be hard to get accurate input from relay operators since their knowledge is limited regarding the network configurations of their providers. Thus, we think for the relay operators who actually also operate the network themselves, it’ll be the best to get input from them (e.g., they can specify “rules” a priori to reduce false positives, and the "rules" can also help automate analysis on alerts); for others with limited information about the network they’re on, then we’ll have to resort to human expert to analyze the routing data. In terms of identifying such an expert, we don’t really have a good answer. But the good thing is that the Tor network is at a relatively manageable size (in terms of number of ASes, etc.) compared to the rest of the Internet. Also, we can potentially have different levels of alerts too to make sure people pay enough attention to the highly suspicious ones while not entirely missing out the mildly suspicious ones. In terms of how to determine the “level”, we have some thoughts such as incorporating more history data as well as inferred business relationships, but these need to be verified with more data analysis.

-> More data on the false positive rates
The paper presented data up to May 2016. We will be constantly updating this webpage with more data since then. (http://raptor.princeton.edu/bgp-tor.html)

1b. How does your live-BGP-feed-anomaly-detector compare (either in design, or in closeness to actually being usable ;) to the one Micah Sherr was working on from their PETS 2016 paper?

The PETS 2016 paper adopts a data-plane approach which requires some active traceroute measurements, while we use a control-plane approach that's passive. We think the two approaches can be a good complement to each other.

1c. Your paper suggests that an alert from a potential hijack attempt could make clients abandon the guard for a while, to keep clients safe from hijack attempts. What about second-order effects of such a design, where the attacker's *goal* is to get clients to abandon a guard, so they add some sketchy routes somewhere to trigger an alert? Specifically, how much easier is it to add sketchy routes that make it look like somebody is attempting an attack, compared to actually succeeding at hijacking traffic?

To "add sketchy routes", the attackers need to make some routing announcement, and the announcement will affect certain parts of the Internet (big or small). (Note, not all announcements will necessarily have an effect, for example, less-specific announcements usually won't be used, so our system doesn't focus on the less-specific ones.)

The next question is - what's the goal of the attackers? Forcing the clients to choose a new guard or actually deanonymizing the clients? Could be either. Say, an attacker simply announces the prefix covering the guard relay - this will blackhole all the traffic going to the guard, so the connections between clients and the guard will be terminated at some point, and the clients will have to choose a new guard. So the goal of the attacks here could just be making the guard unusable (as opposed to deanonymization, which requires more sophisticated attacks and more work from the attackers). And this could really be happening without being noticed, especially if the attack announcement only affects a small part of the Internet and lasts for a short amount of time. For deanonymization, the attack needs to last longer (from Raptor paper, at least 5 minutes for a decent accuracy rate). Thus, our current main goal is simply forcing the attackers to launch attack in a public viewable way as opposed to stealthy (like in the hijack example), and thus increase routing transparency in the Tor network. The next goal will be to couple the alert system with client behavior - and yes, this can be tricky, and we currently don't have a good answer for this.

Yixin