[tor-dev] Open topics of prop247: Defending Against Guard Discovery Attacks using Vanguards

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Tue Jul 4 11:08:06 UTC 2017

Hello Tim,

Thank you very much for the comments. Please see my inline answers as I
think I didn't explain good enough, most of the issues are not actually
a problem.

teor wrote:

>> A rendezvous relay is considered suspicious when the number of
>> successfully established circuits in the last 24 hours per a certain
>> rendezvous relay exceeds with more than x2 factor the number of expected
>> circuits having that relay as rendezvous point.
>

> Why 2x?
> Is it just a number you picked?
>
> In general, why the particular numbers in this proposal?
> Are they just guesses (most of our proposal numbers are), or are they
> evidence-based?

The numbers are not evidence based. I have picked the 2x factor to allow
a margin for rare cases when genuine clients honestly pick a rendezvous
relay more than its probability calculated considering its consensus
weight. There is a nonzero chance this can (rarely) happen, because the
probability calculation does not ensure 100% fixed accurate result so
the 2x factor was chosen to minimize its impact as much as possible
while maintaining a reasonable level of protection.

>> When a relay triggers it, instead of banning it and refusing to use it
>> any longer, we just use hop 2 and hop 3 from the last circuit to further
>> build new rendezvous circuits with this relay as rendezvous point for a
>> random period between 24 to 72 hours. This ensures we mitigate the issue
>> where the attacker DoS-es the HS by making all the relays in the
>> consensus suspicious by hitting the limit for every relay, one by one.
>
> Here's an attack that's enabled by this proposal:
> 1. Send lots of traffic through various rend points until you trigger the
>    limit on a particular hop2 or hop3 or rend you control.
> 2. Stop sending traffic on that particular rend.
> 3. Observe encrypted client traffic/paths on hop2, hop3 or rend for
>    24 to 72 hours.
> 4. When hop2 or hop3 rotate, repeat from 1.
>
> This attack can be performed in parallel on multiple rend points for the
> same service, and only needs to succeed once.

I am not sure I understand the attack. You cannot get to choose to
trigger the limit on particulars hop2 and hop3. These are chosen by the
hidden service server side (where the protection is implemented), they
are chosen randomly, and when you trigger the limit on a particular
rendezvous relay, the last hop 2 and hop 3 used to connect to that
particular relay as RP are used for further new rend circuits only with
that RP, circuits for other rendezvous relays that did not hit the limit
are unaffected and chosen randomly as in normal conditions.

If multiple rendezvous relays hit the limit at the same time, each one
will have different hop 2 and hop 3 static paths for the given period.
It is exactly like vanguards, except it is activated only under some
conditions and we have different Vanguards for each suspicious
rendezvous relay.

> How much effort would it take to bind all the rend points in the consensus
> to a particular hop2, hop3 for a service?
> (I think the minimum answer is min(Q) * count(rend), or about 15000-20000
> connections.)

I believe this is answered above, you cannot bind all the rend points in
the consensus to particular hop 2 and hop 3 for a service, each rend
point will have its own hop 2 and hop 3, the ones used in the last
circuit before the limit was reached and protection triggered.

> Why not just use this defence (slow hop2, hop3 rotation) all the time?
> If we did, that makes this attack pointless, because you can't keep
> rotating hop2, hop3 fast until you get the ones you want.
>
> Why not also use this defence (slow hop2, hop3 rotation) for clients?
> In the last thread, you said that clients can't be forced to make
> circuits. But with features like refresh and JavaScript, this just
> isn't true.

Clients are not subject to this attack (HS Guard Discovery attack). This
is why they are not addressed. Clients choose the RP and request the HS
to connect to it, as much as they want, without any limit. If you mean a
malicious honeypot HS trying to de-anonymize clients or mount Guard
Discovery attacks on clients, the chances for such an attack to succeed
are orders or magnitude lower than vice versa, because the hidden
service cannot make the client connect to an evil RP (RP is selected by
the client).

> In general, how do we know the suspicion thresholds are right?

From my point of view they should be pretty right, based on a simple logic:

a relay is selected by a client in a path based on its consensus weight
fraction and position probability (guard, middle, exit). So, out of a
given number of circuits a relay should appear in a position somewhere
close to its position probability (more or less, which is why we use the
2x factor). You can test in practice, create 10000 rend circuits using
the last consensus and take the relay that was chosen mostly, you will
see that one has the highest middle probability. We consider the
probability theory is tested and worthy of taking into consideration of
course, we rely on it for this protection to work. I think we can safely
do this.

> Also, in general, it is harder to test and maintain software that
> changes its behaviour in rare circumstances. That doesn't mean this
> is a bad design: just that it costs extra to do right and make sure
> it's right. How would you test this?

I understand this can be a PITA from engineering point of view, we just
have to put in balance and see if it's worth it and if it helps us more
than Vanguards do, eliminate the load balancing problems and at the same
time gain some other benefits. I don't see it MUCH more complicated than
the vanguards proposal to be honest, it's just some more information we
need to keep track of and validate a single rule before creating
rendezvous circuits from hidden service server side only (not applied to
HS client mode).

>> It is assumed that the protection is not usually triggered, only in
>> exceptional cases (a normal Tor client will just randomly pick
>> rendezvous points based on middle probability, this should not be able
>> to trigger the protection). In the exceptional cases where we reuse hop
>> 2 and hop 3 of the last circuit for a 24 to 72 hours period, the load
>> balancing issues shouldn't be a problem given we talk about isolated cases.
>
> How much would it cost an attacker to *not* make it an isolated case?
> Could an attacker bring down a relay by making multiple hidden services
> go through a hop2 or hop3?

No, an attacker cannot do it because he does not get to choose hop 2 and
hop 3 as described above. An attacker can mostly make all rend points in
the consensus have different static paths (hop 2 and hop 3) for a random
short period. This requires some effort, since the attacker needs to
take all the rend points one by one and trigger the limit on each. It
gets even more complicated when the HS is popular, because more and more
circuits are needed to trigger the limit on a particular rendezvous
relay. Also, the number of circuits an attacker needs to do to trigger
the limit grows exponentially, because as he hits the limit on some rend
points the total number of established circuits grow, thus requiring
more and more rend circuits to trigger the limit on new RPs.

Even if we come to this, having static hop 2 and hop 3 (different ones)
for each RP in the consensus for a random period of time the result is
exactly as if we were using vangaurds in the first place, except:

 -> we talk about different hop 2 and hop 3 for each RP, so we have
considerably less load balancing problems and we do not need to care
about vanguard flag or logic for selecting which relays to use as vanguards.

 - > the protection is no active all the time for all the hidden
services existing in the network, it is only active in some conditions
we consider suspect, as described above.

It is unclear how different is having the same hop 2 and hop 3 for each
rend circuit (with any rend point) for a random period of time as
vanguards proposal suggests better than this.

> For example:
> 1. Perform the attack above until the victim relay is in the hop3 position
>    (with a malicious rend point, the client knows hop3).
> 2. Repeat 1 with a different service and the same malicious rend point.

This method always assumes the rend point is evil, this should be the
default thinking anyway since it's selected by the client all the time,
and when an attacker wants to de-anonymize a hidden service, he is
always obviously a client.

In the described attack, say you are the attacker and control rend point X:

HS -> Guard -> random_hop2 -> random_hop3 -> RP (X)

You know hop 3 of course. Now say you control some hostile consensus
weight in the network and try your chances to get be picked as hop3,
with the same X rend point so you learn hop 2. So you request more and
more rend circuits having the same evil RP.

The HS will grant you more circuits:
HS -> Guard -> random_hop2 -> random_hop3 -> RP (X)
HS -> Guard -> random_hop2 -> random_hop3 -> RP (X)
HS -> Guard -> random_hop2 -> random_hop3 -> RP (X)
[...]

Until the limit is triggered for your RP (X), based on its consensus
weight middle probability and total number of rend circuits established
by that hidden service from server side.

When the limit is triggered, you will have this:
HS -> Guard -> static_hop2 -> static_hop3 -> RP (X)

Hop 2 and 3 will be static for a random period with that RP(X), and your
tries are finished for being chosen in hop 3 position.

Now you have to either wait, until the random period for RP (X) runs
out, either try a different hostile RP you control. Soon you will hit
the limit on the second hostile RP as well.

As you can see this clearly makes it harder and requires more time and
resources from the attacker, while not affecting the hidden service in
any way.

Why the load balancing is not a problem here?
When a RP is marked as suspicious and 2 relays act as hop 2 and hop 3
only for rend circuits to this particular RP, the only circuits being
created here are:

-> the circuits requested by the attacker, controlling the suspect RP
-> the circuits requested by honest clients, that randomly pick the
suspect RP under normal conditions (since this is based on its middle
probability, we are not talking about concerning numbers).

> Also, Tor2web with Tor2webRendezvousPoints will always trigger this case,
> as I said in response to the last proposal:
> (for "break" read "trigger on")
>
>> * This will break some Tor2Web installations, which deliberately choose
>> rendezvous points on the same server or network for latency reasons.
>> (Forcing Tor2Web installations to choose multiple RPs may be a worthwhile
>> security tradeoff.)
>
> https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-January/010293.html
>
> I won't repeat the entire thread here, but if this protection will always
> be triggered when Tor2webRendezvousPoints is on, please document that in
> the proposal, and talk about the load balancing implications.
>
> (Tor2webRendezvousPoints allows a Tor2web client to chose set rendezvous
> points for every connection. Please re-read the thread or the tor man page
> for details.)

Exactly. Allows a Tor2web _client_ to set rendezvous point for every
connection. Nothing will break here. What will happen is if a Tor2Web
service is popular and many users browse via that Tor2Web proxy a
particular hidden service, that hidden service will at some point
trigger the limit and have static hop 2 and hop 3 to the
Tor2webRendezvousPoints selected by this particular Tor2Web client. They
will be rotated after some time of course.

There is absolutely no problem here and the Tor2web clients will not
even notice it.

>> One question:
>> Are we creating an additional risk by keeping this additional
>> information (hop2, hop3 of every rendezvous circuit) on the hidden
>> service server side? How useful can this historic information be for an
>> attacker that comes aware of the location of the hidden service?
>
> It provides the entire path to the rendezvous point.
> This is useful for an attacker that knows the rendezvous point. It is also
> useful for an attacker whose priority is to locate clients, rather than
> locate the service.
>
>> We
>> already keep this information regarding the Guard. From my point of view
>> this is irrelevant, given this information only becomes available after
>> the location of the hidden service is already discovered (which is
>> pretty much maximum damage).
>
> ... to the hidden service, not necessarily its clients.

Yes, but we only have info, from the hidden service server side for the
path to the RP:

HS - Guard - hop2 - hop3 - RP

On the other hand, there's also:
RP <- Hop 2 <- HS client Guard <- HS client

So we don't actually know much. The design assumes anyway a HS can be
malicious, which is why the client selects the RP and makes a 2 hop
circuit to it, while the HS server makes a 3 hop circuit to the RP
because it was chosen by someone else.

if logging this information (hop2, hop3 and all rend points used) at
hidden service server side is risky, this means all clients connecting
to honey pot HSes are at risk? I doubt this.