[tor-dev] [RFC] Directory structure of prop224 onion services

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Mon Jan 30 14:16:07 UTC 2017

David Goulet <dgoulet at ev0ke.net> writes:

> On 26 Jan (15:05:26), George Kadianakis wrote:
>> Hey list,
>
> Hi!
>
> First, big thanks for this write up!
>

>> with service-side prop224 implementation moving forward, we need to pin down
>> the directory structure of prop224 onion services. This will be very similar to
>> the current directory structure, but with some mods to facilitate assymetric
>> client authorization keys and offline keys.
>>
>> As people have pointed out, the HS directory structure matters less after the
>> introduction of ephemeral ADD_ONION onion services, but still it's an important
>> part of onion service sysadmin UX.
>>
>> So the HiddenServiceDir directory will contain the following items:
>>
>> - "./hostname"    [FILE]
>>
>>    This is a file containing the onion address of the onion service.
>>
>>    As you can see it's the same filename as in v2. Should we suffix it with v3
>>    to make it clear that it's v3 onion? Would we ever have v2 and v3 onions
>>    living in the same directory?
>
> I don't believe we should suffix here because for almost 10 years, users/apps
> have been exposed to "hostname" and it does make sense that it's the goto file
> for that.
>
> Current implementation doesn't allow two services in the same HiddenServiceDir
> and for prop224, the ongoing implementation doesn't allow it either. Sharing a
> directory brings all sorts of uneeded complexity. So if the directory is v3,
> everything in it will be v3.
>

>> - "./private_key_ed25519"  [FILE]
>>
>>    This is the file containing the private master ed25519 key of the onion service.
>>
>>    If offline keys are _enabled_, then this file doesn't exist and instead a
>>    directory is made containing blinded keys for every day [TODO: The directory
>>    format here will be specified in the future].
>
> If that file doesn't exists, the public key is needed else the service can't
> derive the .onion and create the hostname file. The offline case is an extra
> use case but I suspect we would use "public_key_ed25519" along with the
> blinded keys specific file name. (Unless we make our "tor-genkey" tool
> generate the hostname file as well. #bikesheding)
>

>> - "./client_authorized_pubkeys"   [FILE]
>>
>>   If client authorization is _enabled_, this is a newline-separated file of
>>   "<client name> <pubkey>" entries for authorized clients. You can think of it
>>   as the ~/.ssh/authorized_keys of onion services.
>>
>> - "./client_authorized_privkeys/"          [DIRECTORY]
>>   "./client_authorized_privkeys/alice"     [FILE]
>>   "./client_authorized_privkeys/bob"       [FILE]
>>   "./client_authorized_privkeys/charlie"   [FILE]
>
> Small clarification. The "<client name>" field in the the pubkey file is the
> same for the privkey file name. So if "alice" is in the pubkey file, it will
> be "alice" in this privkey directory.
>

>>   If client authorization is _enabled_ _AND_ if the hidden service is
>>   responsible for generating and distributing private keys for its clients,
> [...]

Hey David,

thanks for the useful comments.

Please check my torspec branch `prop224-directory-format`.

FWIW, I agree with all the expected behavior details you noted at the
end of your email. I encoded some of those behaviors in the spec, but I
didn't provide a complete formal algorithm of how the whole process
works because I don't think it's spec material and also because I feel
that during implementation we will get new insights on how this should
work.

Let me know how you feel about the spec patch :)

Cheers!