[tor-dev] [RFC] Proposal for the encoding of prop224 onion addresses

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Tue Jan 24 17:15:55 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 12:40:00PM +0000, segfault wrote:
> But maybe it would help to separate them into groups of 4 characters,
> separated maybe by a dash, which would make them look like this:
>
>     tbi5-tdxb-osio-tpha-wjyu-7f5p-w5tl-nvbv-fjrj-7mes-kbsn-wr2b-qbu2-t4gg.onion

Check out https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/15622
for more discussion of this idea.

I think the main problem with it is that we'd have to pick, and stick
to, a particular format. The "let people add hyphens wherever they think
it improves usability for them" option has all sorts of unexpected side
effects when client-side apps accidentally reveal the hyphenation choice.

--Roger