[tor-dev] log: ORPort/DirPort address does not match descriptor address

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 04:20:27 UTC 2017

> On 24 Jan 2017, at 14:39, Kevin Beranek <kevin at kberanek.com> wrote:
>
>> Is the Address option set on this relay?
>
> Address is not set because it is generated from this template, which
> does not set Address:
> https://github.com/nusenu/ansible-relayor/blob/dev/templates/torrc.

To disable the warning, the template could:
* set Address, or
* use two ORPort lines: 'ORPort <PublicPort> NoListen' and
  'ORPort <InternalPort> NoAdvertise'.

But that requires knowing the external address.

>> Maybe we need to change this part of the warning:
>>> If you have a static public IPv4 address, use 'Address <IPv4>'
>
> I'm not quite sure what you're proposing.  Are you suggesting dropping
> just the "and 'OutboundBindAddress <IPv4>'" or the rest of the
> message?

I think the message is fine, it covers the most common cases.

I don't think we can disable the message in your case, without hiding the
issue from operators who need to know about address mismatches.

>> If the address option isn't set, what does the relay identify as its
>> public IP address in the logs?
>>
>> Look for log entries about testing ORPort or DirPort reachability, or
>> any log entries containing its public IP address.
>
> It definitely identifies the correct public IP address as you can see
> from these logs:
>
> Now checking whether ORPort 51.15.48.254:443 and DirPort
> 51.15.48.254:80 are reachable... (this may take up to 20 minutes --
> look for log messages indicating success)
> Self-testing indicates your DirPort is reachable from the outside. Excellent.
> Self-testing indicates your ORPort is reachable from the outside.
> Excellent. Publishing server descriptor.

Then it's ok to ignore the warning.

It was put there for relay operators whose relay chooses the wrong
public address, and they don't notice.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n