[tor-dev] GAEuploader

Katherine Li katherineli.tor at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 08:20:39 UTC 2017

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your insightful questions! My responses are below:

*> Is this the cheapest zone/region for computation or bandwidth? If I am
not in the US, would it be faster or cheaper for me to use a local google
data center?*

Yes, it would be faster for you to use a local google data center
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/locations>. I have added a
variable "REGION" in the script of the uploader. You can now change the
region by replacing "us-central" with another region. I have also added an
explanation of how to do this in the README. Below is a list of all the
regions:

REGION           SUPPORTS STANDARD  SUPPORTS FLEXIBLE
asia-northeast1  YES                                           YES
europe-west       YES                                           NO
us-central           YES                                           YES
us-east1             YES                                           YES

You can also obtain this list via the following terminal command
<https://cloud.google.com/sdk/gcloud/reference/app/regions/list>(with
GAEuploader as your current directory):
./google-cloud-sdk/bin/gcloud app regions list

As you pointed out, I have set the zone to zone3 in my original code.
However, it turned out that zone is relevant only when working with Google
Compute Engine <https://cloud.google.com/compute/>, which is not the case
for GAEuploader. So I have removed the line "subprocess.check_call(["
./google-cloud-sdk/bin/gcloud", "beta", "config", "set", "compute/zone", "
zone3"])

*> Which tor bridge does the traffic for these instances go through? (Or
does this set up a tor bridge as well?)*
The bridge uses https://meek.bamsoftware.com/, which is on the same host as
the meek-azure bridge, but not rate-limited like meek-azure is.
You can find more information on Tor relays at its Atlas page:
 https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/C20658946DD706A7A2181159A1A04C
D838570D04
If you want to use a different bridge, you can edit the file
appengine/reflect.go before running uploader:
        forwardURL = "https://meek.bamsoftware.com/"

Thanks again for your input! Please let me know if you have any more
questions/feedback.

Best,
Katherine Li