[tor-dev] Proposal 274: Rotate onion keys less frequently

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 11:06:05 UTC 2017

> On 25 Feb 2017, at 03:24, Nick Mathewson <nickm at torproject.org> wrote:
>
> Filename: 274-rotate-onion-keys-less.txt
> Title: Rotate onion keys less frequently.
> Author: Nick Mathewson
> Created: 20-Feb-2017
> Target: 0.3.1.x-alpha
>
> 1. Overview
>
>   This document proposes that, in order to limit the bandwidth needed
>   for microdescriptor listing and transmission, we reduce the onion key
>   rotation rate from the current value (7 days) to something closer to
>   28 days.
>
>   Doing this will reduce the total microdescriptor download volume
>   by approximately 70%.

Thanks for this, Nick!

It seems sensible to me: a significant reduction in directory bandwidth
for a minor decrease in forward secrecy.

Proposal 277 deals with relays that appear to "rotate" onion keys very
frequently (because they have multiple instances with the same identity
key).

But what about relays that don't rotate onion keys at all?

Should they be mentioned in this proposal, or is the ticket sufficient?

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n