[tor-dev] archive.is and archive.fo are using CloudFlare. Is the TorBrowser add-on cfc useless now?

Christian Pietsch christian.pietsch at digitalcourage.de
Tue Feb 7 23:02:17 UTC 2017

Dear Tor developers,

there is a new development in the area of Tor-friendly web archives:

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 11:42:45AM +0000, Yawning Angel wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 12:15:05 +0100
> Christian Pietsch <christian.pietsch at digitalcourage.de> wrote:
> > Considering that cfc was created in order to evade the CloudFlare
> > captcha, this is quite a disappointment. Is cfc useless now? Can it be
> > fixed?
>
> It was a proof of concept that I no longer have time to work on.

Fair enough.

> > What is the reason why archive.org is not used? I hear they are almost
> > done setting up an onion service for the Internet Archive.
>
> Because, out of all the similar services that are available, I like
> archive.is the most.

Two weeks ago, an Onion Site for the Internet Archive was announced:
http://hackerfactor.com/blog/index.php?/archives/750-Freedom-of-Information.html
Some tech people at the Internet Archive were informed well ahead of
this announcement, and they are happy with it. I expect this Onion
Site to remain stable for quite a while. I have not hacked a Firefox
extension before, and I would be glad if somebody else came forward to
modify cfc accordingly.

Cheers,
Christian

--
  Christian Pietsch | library technologist also volunteering for
  Digitalcourage e.V., Marktstr. 18, D-33602 Bielefeld, Germany