[tor-dev] Prop-279 for Onion Alternative Name Representations (Re: Error-Correcting Onions with Bech32)

Yawning Angel yawning at schwanenlied.me
Sun Dec 31 10:48:52 UTC 2017

I commented on the ticket but I'll do it here for completeness sake:

On Sun, 31 Dec 2017 10:12:53 +0000
nullius <nullius at nym.zone> wrote:
> I also proposed changes to permit the UTF-8 characters required for
> representing names in languages other than American English, and some
> other technical improvements.  I added status code 5 to support
> plugins which can discern when a name is in a recognized format, but
> is intrinsically invalid e.g. due to checksum failure; and I expanded
> the description of status code 2, for plugins which do not have TLDs
> but do recognize a definite syntax.

This is pointless because internationalized domain names are
standardized around Punycode encoding (Unicode<->ASCII), and said
standard is supported by applications that support IDN queries.

I am firmly against this change, and I'm not particularly thrilled by
the thought of homograph attacks either.

> Given appropriate prop-279 changes, I won’t need to draw a proposal.
> I’ll simply write code!

It's worth keeping in mind that no one to my knowledge has implemented
prop 279 in the tor code itself, though there is (IIRC) a python kludge
that kind of allows development.

Regards,

--
Yawning Angel