[tor-dev] path selection constraints: /16 subnet rule when using bridges

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Tue Dec 19 23:00:00 UTC 2017

>> does the following also apply if a Tor users chooses to use a bridge?
>>
>>>     - We do not choose more than one router in a given /16 subnet
>> [1]
>>
>> Will tor ensure that the relays are not in the same /16 netblock with the bridge?
>
> Yes, as each node is added to the path, its IPv4 address is checked
> against the IPv4 /16 netblocks of the existing nodes in the path.
> This includes relays and bridges.
>
> There is no support for checking IPv6 addresses yet:
> But when there is, we will check IPv6 /32s, for those nodes that have IPv6
> addresses.

Does it check only against actively used ORPort IPv4 address or all ORPort IPs
in the bridge descriptor when connecting to the bridge via IPv6?

example:
- bridge has an IPv6 and IPv4 1.1.2.2
- exit has 1.1.2.3
- tor client connects to the bridge using IPv6

Will the client use that exit if it connects to the bridge via IPv6?

thanks,
nusenu

--
https://mastodon.social/@nusenu