[tor-dev] IPv6 and v3 onion services

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 16:47:25 UTC 2017

> On 15 Dec 2017, at 03:29, David Goulet <dgoulet at torproject.org> wrote:
>
> The place I'm thinking of is the EXTEND in IPv6 and relay self-testing in
> IPv6. This seems a more critical point to build into the network before we can
> start building HS support on top (single onion is different but will have to
> do with HS code in some ways).

I'm working on this right now.
It should be ready by mid-January, but it needs a proposal, so maybe it will
end up in 0.3.4 instead.

I would also like to make it easier to configure IPv6 relays. IPv6 support isn't
as useful as it could be, because only 15% of relays support IPv6.
Address autodetection would go a long way here.

> Then, making sure a client can do IPv6 seems the natural next step. And then
> we finish with HS.
>
> So to summarize (in order of what I think we should do first):
>
> 1. Relay
> 2. Client
> 3. HS/Single Onion
>
> My two cents on this.

Seems good to me.
I want to try and focus on getting minimum working code.
Then we can add extra features later.

> Also, 033 freeze is arriving rather fast that is in theory mid-january so we
> have to consider the fact that we might not get the whole thing in 033 but we
> can certainly try :).

We can do parts in 0.3.3 and parts in 0.3.4.