[tor-dev] Student project to work on IPv6 support (was: [tor-relays] About relay size)

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 17:12:19 UTC 2017

Hi,

How are these student projects working out?
Is there anything we can do to help?

(There is no need to identify the students, unless they want to be named
on a public mailing list.)

> On 19 Oct 2017, at 01:57, teor <teor2345 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 14 Oct 2017, at 01:06, Santiago R.R. <santiagorr at riseup.net> wrote:
>>
>>> El 12/10/17 a las 12:22, teor escribió:
>>>
>>> On 12 Oct 2017, at 09:15, Santiago R.R. <santiagorr at riseup.net> wrote:
>>

>>>    With my colleague JC Bach (in CC), we have proposed a last-year student
>>>    project to address IPv6-related issues in Tor for the upcoming semester,
>>>    at IMT Atlantique engineering school. There will be two students working
>>>    on it. It is hard to say now how far we will arrive, especially because
>>>    this is our first approach to Tor entrails.
>>>

>>> This is great! We would like some help with Tor's IPv6 support.
>>> And we are happy to help you and your students.
>>>

>>> How many students?
>>
>> There will be two.
>>
>>> How much time?
>>
>> From now until mid-March. Students will have 135h in their schedules to
>> work on their projects.
>>
>>> What are your goals for the project?
>>
>> For now, it's still open, but addressing IPv6 support. We should limit
>> the scope soon, according to open related tickets that could be feasible
>> to work on.
>>
>>> How much do you expect to get done?
>>
>> At least, choose a couple of easy-tagged IPv6 tickets, and close them.
>> However, it's difficult to state on this right now.
>
> 135h is enough to submit a small, one-line change to get used to the tor
> patch process, and then do something more substantial with some testing.

Have the students tried small patches?
How did they go?

> (Snip)

Here's how your students (or you) can find tickets and get help with patches:

>>> Our bug tracker is:
>>> https://trac.torproject.org/
>>>
>>> We are also in #tor-dev IRC on irc.oftc.net.

It might be worth reminding your students that replies on IRC can take hours.
Some people are disappointed when they don't get an instant reply.