[tor-dev] Proposal 287: Reduce circuit lifetime without overloading the network.

Fernando Fernández Mancera ffernandezmancera at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 17:56:30 UTC 2017

Hi teor,

> Seems like an important proposal, if there is a good argument that a
> particular amount of data is "safe". I think your research may help
> with this.

Yes, I will try to prove it on the research so I would like to keep the
proposal open until the research is finished.

> If everybody chooses different amounts of data, that makes them easier to
> identify.

This reason is why it is not recommended to change the default value,
same as for the MaxCircuitDirtiness parameter, so I will specify it on
the proposal.

> Onion services also have similar behaviour, but we should check the
> details.
>
> The proposal doesn't specify how KeepAliveIsolateSOCKSAuth and onion
> services work with MaxCircuitSizeDirtiness and
> MaxCircuitSizeDirtinessByPort. We need to specify what happens, so the
> Tor Browser team knows if it needs to change its torrc. And it would
> help us decide what to set as the default for onion services.

Let me think about it. I will update the proposal soon and I will
specify how KeepAliveIsolateSOCKSAuth and onion services work with this
new feature.

ffmancera.