[tor-dev] Dir auths using 2x bandwidth in last week

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 01:51:07 UTC 2017

> On 21 Aug 2017, at 14:36, teor <teor2345 at gmail.com> wrote:

In July, we went from 1% of fallback directory mirrors being down, to about
10% of fallback directory mirrors being down.

See "Fallback Directories Running, Past 90 Days" on:
https://consensus-health.torproject.org/graphs.html
(Needs JS, SVG)

This means that 10% of client requests go straight to directory
authorities. For the other 90%, the first fallback and first directory
authority request happen simultaneously, and the authority often wins
(and gets to supply the client's first consensus).

Deploying #17750 in 0.3.2 (or backporting it to earlier releases)
will fix both these issues:

> If we want to reduce the load on authorities, we can backport this
> change, which makes clients try fallbacks before authorities:

> It's been in master (0.3.2) for almost 2 months now.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n