[tor-dev] Tor and IP2Location LITE

KL Liew hexasoft at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 01:36:04 UTC 2017

Please find my comments below.

> It is possible that this address is used by North Korea, they don't have
> a massive IP allocation and I would expect that perhaps there are some
> tunnels, but I can't figure out where MaxMind have got this idea from.

We aware of a small number of IP ranges tunneling to North Korea through
some specific ISP. However, this IP address is registered by a VPN provider
which also registered ranges in many other countries. We have no evidence
that this VPN provider has a server located in those countries reported for
their VPN service.

> I think GeoIP is actually a far more difficult problem when it's not
> typical residential customers. Satellite customers, for instance, may
> use IP blocks that are spread across multiple countries.
>
> I would expect that cloud providers and larger datacenter providers are
> using tunnels of sorts between their datacenters. Tunnels kill any
> visibility into the real routing path.

The large cloud providers such as AWS and Azure publishes their data center
and IP addresses range to public. Data centers usually avoiding tunnels due
to performance and cost-effectiveness. We do see rare cases required
tunnels such as DDoS protection.

> When it comes to measuring the accuracy of databases for datacenters, I
> wonder if there could be some means for relay operators to self-report a
> location and then we can compare this with different databases.

If this is possible, then it is a good way to perform benchmarking.
However, we need to make sure the relay operator is giving the right
information.

- Kim