[tor-dev] Dir auths using 2x bandwidth in last week

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 04:36:38 UTC 2017

>>> https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/F2044413DAC2E02E3D6BCF4735A19BCA1DE97281
>>> https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/BD6A829255CB08E66FBE7D3748363586E46B3810
>>> https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/74A910646BCEEFBCD2E874FC1DC997430F968145
>>> https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/7EA6EAD6FD83083C538F44038BBFA077587DD755
>>> all show a big increase in sent bytes starting at the end of July.
>>>
>>> It isn't growth in Tor users, since those have stayed relatively flat
>>> in the last two weeks.
>>>
>>> And the new rate seems to be the new normal -- it's showing no signs of
>>> going back to the old rate.
>>>
>>> I would assume it's outgoing directory stuff, since that's most of what
>>> dir auths do.
>>>
>>> Any guesses?
>>
>> In July, Tor 0.3.0 became the most common relay version in the network,
>> growing at quite a rapid rate:
>>
>> https://metrics.torproject.org/versions.html
>>
>> There doesn't seem to be any corresponding Tor Browser release in that
>> timeframe:
>>
>> 3 July: https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-browser-702-released
>> 8 August: https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-browser-704-released
>
> 2 July is when deb.torproject.org switched to 0.3.0.

We merged a fallback directory mirror change to 0.2.8 and later in
mid-May, but I think that's too far back. (The actual releases were
up to a month later.)

If we want to reduce the load on authorities, we can backport this
change, which makes clients try fallbacks before authorities:

It's been in master (0.3.2) for almost 2 months now.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n