[tor-dev] Feature Request: please consider ship default Tor bridges

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sat Aug 19 07:11:26 UTC 2017

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 07:57:53PM +0000, iry wrote:
> Btw, Collateral Freedom seems to be one of the most effective ways to
> circumvent Internet censorship in China. Circumvention tools that
> depend on Collateral Freedom usually works fine, including meek,
> lantern, psiphon3 etc. Therefore, I see a lot of potential work which
> may benefit the Internet freedom in China. For example:
> 1. package meek into Debian
> 2. host (part of the) BridgeDB mirror on Github or AWS
> 3. #22402: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/22402

Some hopefully useful thoughts along these lines:

A) Most places around the world that need bridges these days need
pluggable transport bridges, not just vanilla bridges. So if we want to
bundle bridge addresses, we should bundle PT bridge addresses.

B) ...and that means we need to make sure that those PTs are well packaged
in Debian too, since the Tor deb by itself would not be able to use them.

C) I wonder if we could use the new %include torrc directive in this
situation:
https://bugs.torproject.org/1922
That is, when you apt-get install obfs4proxy, is that the right time to
populate /etc/torrc.d/obfs4-bridges with some (probably commented out
to start) lines that let you use those bridges if you want?

--Roger