[tor-dev] Tor and IP2Location LITE

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Wed Aug 16 19:19:59 UTC 2017

On 2017-08-16 05:38, KL Liew wrote:
> All,

Hi Kim,

> My name is Kim, the founder of IP2Location, a geolocation service
> provider since 2002.
>
> It looks like Tor is looking to review other providers for GeoIP service
> while I was reading one of a meeting minute for a meeting back in March
> 2017.
>
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/meetings/2017Amsterdam/Notes/Metricsin5Years
>
> We are very interested in contributing to Tor and work on this matter.
> Tor can host and integrate IP2Location LITE
> (http://lite.ip2location.com) into their application. IP2Location has
> programming libraries in most languages. We can also work with
> developers if there is any technical issues.
>
> In term of accuracy, you can find the latest research paper published by
> TUM. IP2Location has good accuracy as reported in Table V.
>
> Title       : HLOC: Hints-Based Geolocation Leveraging Multiple
> Measurement Frameworks
> Authors     : Quirin Scheitle, Oliver Gasser, Patrick Sattler, Georg
> Carle from Technical University of Munich (TUM)
> PDF Access  : https://arxiv.org/pdf/1706.09331.pdf
>
> Let me know if there is any questions.

Thanks for reaching out to us!

It's indeed on our list to evaluate other geolocation databases and
possibly switch over. I'll bring this topic up at tomorrow's metrics
team meeting to discuss possible next steps for such an evaluation. I'll
get back to you here to share the results.

One question, though, that just came to mind: Are there archives
available for past IP2Location LITE databases, or do you provide just
the latest version? Having archives, possibly even back to 2002, would
be pretty useful for Tor Metrics. (I didn't look around as much on your
homepage, so please apologize if this question is already answered there.)

> - Kim

All the best,
Karsten