[tor-dev] txtorcon versioning

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Thu Apr 13 01:26:32 UTC 2017

Hi meejah. This sounds like a good move since txtorcon makes so many
small incremental releases. I like symantic versioning for stem [1],
but I've only made six releases thus far. Not nineteen. :P

Symantic versioning provides a clear way of indicating what upgrades
are safely backwards compatible and which aren't. In the above you say
"The onion service APIs *will* change" but also "At one point, I
thought of breaking a few now-regrettable APIs. However, I will not do
this." - are you changing APIs or not?

If you are then Calendar Versioning will make it tricker for your
users to figure out when you're doing so.

[1] https://stem.torproject.org/change_log.html#versioning