[tor-dev] txtorcon versioning

meejah meejah at meejah.ca
Wed Apr 12 20:25:22 UTC 2017

I will soon release the next version of txtorcon with a ton of cool new
features. This will be called 0.19.0. More details:

   http://timaq4ygg2iegci7.onion/releases.html

Going forward, versioning will switch to a "CalVer.org" variant. At one
point, I thought of breaking a few now-regrettable APIs.

However, I will not do this.

The next version after 0.19.0 will be 17.x.y
Changes in any existing APIs will be done by first introducing the new
thing, deprecating the old thing and eventually removing the old
thing. The new documentation's "programming guide" includes some notes
on API stability. I have not to date broken/changed any existing
API. Also at this point nothing is deprecated (but there are "preferred"
APIs).

The onion services APIs *will* change for the 17.x release.

New code should follow the recommendations in the programming
guide. Existing code will continue to work for the forseeable future.

thanks,
meejah