[tor-dev] Comments on proposal 279 (Name API)

str4d str4d at i2pmail.org
Fri Apr 7 08:02:26 UTC 2017

On 04/06/2017 09:13 AM, Jeremy Rand wrote:
> Hi Nick!
>
> Nick Mathewson:
>> Section 2.1 and elsewhere:
>
>> I suggest that we require all address suffixes to end with .onion;
>> other TLDs are not reserved like .onion is, and maybe we shouldn't
>> squat any we haven't squatted already.
>
> FWIW it's not at all clear to me that this is a concern that IETF or
> ICANN will care about.  Most DNS recursive servers (e.g. Unbound)
> allow squatting on arbitrary TLD's (this is often used for corporate
> systems that use internal TLD's, but we use it for Namecoin as well),
> and to my knowledge no one has complained to Unbound about the ability
> to misuse this.

Then you haven't been reading the DNSOP working group's mailing list -
the IETF certainly cares. I recommend searching for ".onion",
"special-use", "sutld", or "alt-tld" on their ML viewer [0] and reading
the (extensive) back-history of these discussions. See below for a link
to my earlier comments on this tor-dev thread [1], as well as several
IETF drafts you may wish to read and comment on [2-3].

Cheers,
str4d

[0] https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/search/?email_list=dnsop
[1] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2017-April/012153.html