[tor-dev] Prop279 and DNS

Jeremy Rand jeremyrand at airmail.cc
Fri Apr 7 03:34:30 UTC 2017

Jesse V:
> On 04/03/2017 05:01 PM, Jeremy Rand wrote:
>> Maybe this topic has already been brought up, but in case it
>> hasn't, I'll do so.  I notice that Prop279 (onion naming API)
>> defines its own API rather than using DNS.  I guess that this is
>> because of security concerns about the centralization of the
>> DNS.
>
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> I believe that the general idea with prop279 is simply to introduce
> an API for resolving pseudo-TLDs before they were sent through the
> Tor network. How that is done is entirely dependent on the naming
> system.
>
> For example, if a user typed in example.bit into a Namecoin-enabled
> Tor browser, the software could then perform your proposed DNS
> lookup and rewrite the request before turning it over to the tor
> binary. In my case, my OnioNS software rewrites .tor to .onion,
> since the tor binary knows how to handle .onion. At the moment,
> this is a bit hacky because the software has connect with tor's
> control port, manually review and process each lookup, rewrite the
> the request, and then tell tor to connect it with a circuit. Prop
> 279 is designed to make this much easier and avoid hacky
> solutions.

Hi Jesse,

Yes, I understand that the goal is to provide an abstraction layer for
naming systems that doesn't rely on control port hacks -- and that's
great!  My primary inquiry here is about whether the DNS protocol
might be a better-suited protocol for Tor to use for talking to naming
systems, rather than a Tor-specific protocol as is proposed now.  I
don't hold a strong opinion on this; I'm mostly just curious whether
it was considered, and if so, what led to the decision not to use it.

Cheers,
- --
- -Jeremy Rand
Lead Application Engineer at Namecoin
Mobile email: jeremyrandmobile at airmail.cc
Mobile PGP: 2158 0643 C13B B40F B0FD 5854 B007 A32D AB44 3D9C
Send non-security-critical things to my Mobile with PGP.
Please don't send me unencrypted messages.
My business email jeremy at veclabs.net is having technical issues at the
moment.