[tor-dev] Control-port filtering: can it have a reasonable threat model?

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Tue Apr 4 15:46:41 UTC 2017

Hi Nick. Just a quick note that something I've wanted from time to
time is a 'make the control port read-only' option so only GETINFO,
GETCONF, events, etc would work. Yes, these could be used to
deanonymize a user, but it could provide assurance the controller
doesn't tamper with tor. This has been of interest to me since nyx
(aka arm) is primarily a read-only monitor and this could provide
users with an assurance that it's not doing anything to their tor
instance.

Besides that, 'makes the control port read-only' is a pretty straight
forward, simple to understand capability for a torrc option to have.

Cheers! -Damian