[tor-dev] GSoC: Questions on allowing for more DNS request types

Nick Mathewson nickm at alum.mit.edu
Mon Apr 3 12:47:07 UTC 2017

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 10:20 AM, Lucille Newman <newmanlucy at uchicago.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was interested in the project for allowing any kind of DNS support in Tor
> for GSoC, or, since it is late for that deadline, then also otherwise. After
> reading proposal 219, I have some questions.
>
> 1. A comment by NM suggests that we should specify exact behavior when
> generating DNS packets (line 56). Should the DNS packets not be generated as
> according to RFC 1035? Are there other things that need to be taken into
> consideration here?

HI!

The issue is that RFC 1035 and other DNS RFCs allow a certain amount
of latitude in how DNS requests are encoded specifically.  As one
simple example: name compression is recommended but not required. I
believe there are other examples too.

On the request side, that's bad for anonymity: we'd rather have all
clients encoding their requests in the same way, so that exits can't
tell them apart any more than necessary.

On the response side, I think it's okay to have different exits encode

> 2. Another comment (line 63) asks whether 496 bytes is enough for the DNS
> packet of a DNS_BEGIN cell. Since QNAME can be arbitrarily long, I suppose
> it is possible that 496 is not enough? If this seems like a reasonable
> concern, then maybe we could do a similar thing to the DNS_RESPONSE cells
> with allowing multiple cells for a single question and having a flag to
> indicate the last cell?

That would probably be fine.

> 3. What would cause a DNS_BEGIN request or response to be aborted (line
> 105)?

It might make sense to abort a request if the client realizes that the
application no longer wants it -- for example, if it's happening in
response to a TCP DNS request (not currently supported on the client
side) and the TCP connection is closed.

I don't know if it's absolutely necessary to support that.

> 4. How do we differentiate special names like .onion, .exit, .noconnect
> (line 145)?

I think we could go with the list in addr-spec.txt in the torspec repository.

> 5. The comments at (lines 135-143) indicate that it might not be necessary
> or practical to refuse requests that resolve to local addresses. This means
> that such queries will not be sent, but an error will be returned before
> sending to a DNS server?

I think that's the intended behavior, if it makes good security sense.

Peace,
--
Nick