[tor-dev] Thesis using QUIC in Tor

Jesse V kernelcorn at torproject.org
Fri Sep 30 12:39:42 UTC 2016

On 09/30/2016 07:02 AM, Ali Clark wrote:
> For my master's thesis this summer I looked into the performance impact from
> using QUIC instead of TCP/TLS as the relay transport. Results from the
> experiments look quite promising.
>
> For more details and the thesis, please see my blog post:
> https://www.benthamsgaze.org/2016/09/29/quux-a-quic-un-multiplexing-of-the-tor-relay-transport/

Hi Ali,

Well done, this looks really neat! A couple of questions:
1) Are you looking into publishing your work in a peer-reviewed journal
such as CSS, NDSS, PoPETS, or elsewhere?
2) Did you examine the performance improvements for 6-hop onion/hidden
service circuits?
3) Tor currently multiplexes circuits over the same TLS connection. This
is by design to avoid leaking circuit-level metadata, including the
observation of construction and tear-down. The first paragraph on page
21 seems to suggest that QUUX leaks this information. Is this correct,
or did you take steps to address this? For that matter, does QUUX leak
any additional metadata that could assist with de-anonymization attacks?

--
Jesse