[tor-dev] Reducing initial onion descriptor upload delay (down to 0s?)

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 15:27:19 UTC 2016

> On 29 Sep 2016, at 08:06, Ivan Markin <twim at riseup.net> wrote:
>
> teor:
>> Submit a patch on the ticket that changes the interval to 5 seconds, and
>> see if it gets accepted before the code freeze:
>> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/20082
>>
>> It would help to come up with a reasoned argument why 5 seconds is better
>> than 30 seconds, and why it can't possibly be any worse under any
>> circumstances.
>
> Hmm, okay. I've created this ticket and submitted a patch there. :)
> I just lost the point of this discussion and what steps should be taken
> next with this delay.

* agree on what we actually want to change
  * Ephemeral onion services' initial delay?
  * All onion services' initial delay?

I think we should change the initial delay for all onion services,
otherwise we end up with inconsistent, confusing delays.

* make an argument for how the behaviour is better, and how it can't possibly
  cause problems (or is very unlikely to cause problems)

* get the patch reviewed and merged

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n